Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Responsible living style

I took an earth conservation plan today and has made the following pledges. I wish everyone can do the same. My score of ECP and carbon are respectively 169 and 3.8.

earthlab.com

My new pledges from 2011:
• Not dump my used cooking oil down the drain
• Place a filled water bottle in my toilet tank
• Buy and use vegetable-based dishwashing detergent
• Use the least amount of energy when drying my dishes
• Use biodegradable, “green" cleaning products
• Use natural hair products
• Replace on hour of television or one hour of computer use per week with something not requiring electricity, like playing with the kids"
• Wrap presents creatively without using wrapping paper
• Purchase and begin brewing with reusable filters with my next trip to the store
• Replace one meat-based meal a week with a non-meat alternative
• Ask my local chopstick-supplying restaurants to use reusable ones
• Use solar powered lamp and charger
• Decrease the amount of junk & frozen foods and carton drinks
• Don’t buy from vending machine
• Bring you own handkerchief, don’t use the restaurant paper
• Use rechargeable heater instead of the disposable pocket warmer
• Recycle kitchen waste
• Use tube-free toilet papers
• Save the bathtub water for watering and washing
• Take shorter showers and install a low-flow / low pressure shower head
• Buy organic food
• Grow some of my own food
• Buy fresh and prepare myself instead of buying prepackaged and processed foods
• Plant a tree
• Seal my home. Caulk and weather strip my doorways and windows.
• Switch to double pane windows that keep more heat inside my home
• Don’t use electronic hot water pot
• Pack light, natural and environmentally friendly products when travel

My responsible and environmental friendly living style
• Use technology to save energy and resources, not vice verse
• Advise housekeeping to not wash my towels and linens during my stay at hotels
• Turn off the lights in my hotel room
• Take mass/rapid transit when I travel outside of my home town
• Pay the little extra for minimal stops rather than the multiple lay-over route
• Use public transit
• Have my kids ride their bikes to school
• Buy second-hand furniture and goods
• Support the use of recycled products and buy outdoor furniture made from it
• Involve my family in my responsible-living plan
• Do my part to further the renewable energy movement
• Use rechargeable batteries in my remote control and other battery operated items
• Use responsibly harvested wood products
• Dispose of my old paint responsibly
• Don’t buy new phone/computer if the old one still works
• Don’t burn to CD/DVD if you can send it over by email, network or transfer it over by USB flash drive
• Don’t print unless it is really necessary
• Don’t buy anything if you believe you gonna throw away in less than 1 year
• Use environmentally friendly ways to entertain my kids; buy toys that don’t use batteries
• Choose outdoor toys that are good for my kids and the planet
• Reduce the amount of new toys and clothes for kids
• Reduce number of shopping trips
• Only order amount of food that you can finish
• Don’t use disposable utensils
• Use my blinds in an energy efficient way
• Use sunlight instead of powered lights
• Always turn off the lights and exhaust fans of the house
• Use fewer light bulbs to light up the house
• Replace standard light bulbs only with energy efficient ones
• Close doors to areas when they are not being used and keep the heat/air conditioning off in them
• Don’t use heater if you can wear more clothes instead
• Use linen cloth towels instead of paper towels
• Use less oil to cook
• Decrease the usage of garbage bags
• Close the shower/warmer toilet cover at all time

Reduce (carbon dioxide and waste)
• Send emails instead and posted mails
• Covert to paperless statements for all my bills
• Call to stop all mail advertisements of pre-approval offers
• Do my laundry using an energy star washing machine
• Run you dishwasher and laundry with a full load
• Conserve energy when doing laundry; air dry my clothes
• Use my clothes dryer conservatively
• Unplug chargers when not in use
• Turn off my computer when not in use
• Set my computer and electronics to a lower energy use mode
• Don’t use stand by mode for any all household’s products
• Bring cloth bags to the market, don’t take plastic bags or even paper bags
• Use left-over plastic bags as trash bags
• Use recycled paper
• Use LED and cost efficient bulbs
• Buy products locally
• Buy energy efficient / eco electronic products and home appliances
• Buy minimally packaged goods
• Buy a hybrid car or electric cars
• Carpool when you can
• Purchase my next vehicle responsibly and consider a hybrid vehicle or smart car
• Check my car’s air filter monthly
• Inflate my tires
• Get a bike or walk instead of drive
• Adjust you heater no higher than 24°C
• Adjust my AC no lower than 28°C
• Change the AC filter frequently
• Put on a sweater instead of turning up the heat in my home
• Switch to a tank-less water heater
• Insulate my home and water heater
• Keep my water heater thermostat no higher than 120°F
• Use the lowest settings reasonable for my refrigerator (38°F) /freeze (5°F)
• Limit the number of times and length of the refrigerator’s door opening
• Decrease the amount of detergent usage
• Use my muscles instead of fossil fuels mower
• Reduce garbage
• Don’t use plastic bottle at home or at all
• Remove and throw my bottle cap away before I recycle my plastic bottle
• Recycle my newspaper, and encourage others to do so
• Always recycle

Recycle
• Plastic bottles
• Plastic containers
• Steel and Aluminum
• Glass
• Cardboard and paper
• Batteries
• Computers
• Mobiles
• Printer cartridges
• Home and electronic appliances
• Furniture
• Light bulbs
• Paints
• Books
• Clothes

No comments:

Post a Comment

About

Misato, Tokyo, Japan
I was born in Hong Kong and lived in US for 12 years. And now I am living and working in Japan. I am an IT professional and environment protection activist. Yes, I am trilingual. So be WDOB!