Thursday, October 27, 2011

I think I am in good shape for online phishing or fraud

My wife asked me to be careful for the online phishing and the identity theft the other day. I always have a list in my minds. I think I am in good shape.

  1. Don't shop online without the https encryption
  2. Don't shop with online store that you are not sure about it
  3. Don't save your ID and password on your computer.
  4. Don’t ever use your online banking or log on to your email account in public terminal, like internet cafe.
  5. Don’t ever use your online banking or log on to your email account in wifi hotspots.
  6. Don't lend your computer to someone who you don't trust by using Administrator account.
  7. Don’t use your birthday, your license plate, your street number…etc to be the passwords of important online accounts.  
  8. Don't open any attachment from someone you don't know. Even for people you know, scan every single attachment before you open it.
  9. Double check the actual destination of the hyperlink from the browser Status bar. When you click www.ebay.com, it might actually bring you to www.phishing_ebay.com
  10. If you believe your email account has been hacked. Change all online accounts that related to that email account right now.
  11. If you lost something that might allow people to access your virtual identity. Act it accordingly. Change the password! Freeze the account! Do whatever it works.
  12. Install and update the latest anti-virus program to protect your privacy.
  13. Never use your check-card that deducts money directly from your checking account for online shopping.
  14. Never wire back the balance for an overpaid cashier’s check until you actually receive the actual bills in your hands, not the figure on your bank statement.
  15. Set a daily limit for the online banking transfer or an alert that email to you,
  16. Shred everything that has your identities on it before you throw it away.
  17. Try to stick with one low-credit credit card for all your online shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About

Misato, Tokyo, Japan
I was born in Hong Kong and lived in US for 12 years. And now I am living and working in Japan. I am an IT professional and environment protection activist. Yes, I am trilingual. So be WDOB!